I promised myself to work on some new songs in February, so of course it wasn’t long before I was back tweaking an old song. Happy though I was with Ain’t Too Bright, I was always a tiny bit disappointed in the lack of energy. So, as a diversion from more arduous things, I gave it a bit of a tune-up (pun intended).
First task was to re-do the drums. I re-recorded the part, and gave up on looping segments. I think the song gets a more organic feel from playing “live” even if the timing isn’t as accurate (I am not quantizing the drums).
I also re-recorded the bass. In the original, the bass was my home-made Telecaster, fitted with a GR-3 pickup and played through a Roland GR-55 synth. The sound turned out to be a little too muddy, and I thought it brought the sound down. So I re-recorded the bass part using the totally awesome upgraded Bronco bass. I also gave the bass a little more to do in the song, and I think it helps.
Please take a listen, and let me know what you think!